Greek Lentil Stew/Soup (Fakies)
1 cup Canadian lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
3 minced garlic cloves
2 large carrots diced
1 large celery stalk diced
5 cups water or stock
1 cup canned tomatoes (or 2-3 fresh tomatoes cubed)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot and saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Cook until onions are softened and transparent.
- Add water or stock, lentils, canned/fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar before serving.
Note: You can serve with crumbled feta on the top and crunchy bread on the side.
(C) T. Altman 2016
Disclaimer: The information presented here is taken from my own personal experiences and are to be used as a guide only. Please take into consideration, any medical conditions such as allergies before attempting. Permission to reprint any information or photos on this blog must be obtained by the blog creator (email@example.com).