1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
195g chopped dates
2 medium granny smith apples (peeled & chopped)
2 teaspoons bi-carbonate soda
1 cup boiling water
1½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon milk
- Soak dates and apples, bi-carbonate soda and boiling water together for 20 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar and then add egg and vanilla essence.
- Sift flour, add salt and baking powder.
- Add to creamed mixture and then stir in fruit mixture.
- Bake in 180°C oven for 1¼ hours.
- For frosting melt butter in saucepan and then add ingredients.
- Spread on top of cake then bake for further 10-15 minutes until coconut has become slightly toasted.
Make sure you purchase sustainable and environmentally sourced ingredients and support your local businesses too.
(C) T. Altman 2016
Disclaimer: The information presented here is taken from my own personal experiences and are to be used as a guide only. Please take into consideration, any medical conditions such as allergies before attempting. Permission to reprint any information or photos on this blog must be obtained by the blog creator (email@example.com).