Berry Tea Cake
1 cup of mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
250 grams of caster sugar
250 grams of butter
2 cups self-raising flour
Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a cake tin (spring-form types are the best for tea cakes).
- Separate 50 grams each of the sugar, butter and flour along with the teaspoon of cinnamon and rub together with your fingertips – put this crumble mixture aside.
- Beat remaining sugar with eggs until fluffy.
- Add the rest of the butter which you have melted, to the egg mixture.
- Place sifted rest of flour and fold into mixture to combine all ingredients.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and carefully sprinkle mixed berries on the top.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture you put aside on top (doing it whilst purposefully omitting some sections gives it a marbled look).
- Bake for 45-60 mins until the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Pop the cake out of the cake tin and allow to cool before dusting it with icing sugar to serve.
Make sure you purchase sustainable and environmentally sourced ingredients and support your local businesses too.
(C) T. Altman 2016
Disclaimer: The information presented here is taken from my own personal experiences and are to be used as a guide only. Please take into consideration, any medical conditions such as allergies before attempting. Permission to reprint any information or photos on this blog must be obtained by the blog creator (email@example.com).